Thank you for your interest in the Guthrie-Koch PKU Scholarship. Before you start your application, please review and prepare your personal statement, as directed below. Once that is written (at least 5,000 but no more than 10,000 characters) start your application by fillling in the form below. You can then upload your statement as an attachment. Questions? contact email@example.com.
Instructions for Your Personal Statement
This is a very important part of the application. Through your words, please “paint a portrait” of yourself for the scholarship committee. Please carefully review it for typographical and spelling errors before sending it, and use your best English composition skills! In the field below, please write a narrative/essay about yourself, including each of the numbered topics below.
NOTE: Your answer to #3, as you are describing a number of activities, can be presented as an outline, but does not have to be. However, even if you do an outline, commentary about each of the activities is still helpful in giving the committee a more complete understanding about your involvement, so please add more details about an activity when you think it would be helpful. Be specific in your answers.
Your statement should be no longer than seven typed pages, double-spaced, or approximately 10,000 characters. Your statement should include the topics listed below. PLEASE GIVE EACH TOPIC THE SUBHEAD LISTED BELOW.
- Why I am Applying for the Scholarship: Describe why you are applying for the scholarship.
- My Educational Objectives and Career Plans: Describe your educational objective(s) and career plans, if known, and what factors/interests have led you in this direction.
- My School and Community Activities: Describe your extracurricular activities, such as on-campus student activities, family activities, community activities, clubs, student offices held, sports activities, involvement in musical groups, any involvement you have had with PKU-related activities, etc. Please include any comments you have about these activities and their importance in your life.
- Honors and Awards I have Received: List and describe any honors and awards you have received, academic or otherwise.
- My Work History: If you are currently employed, state your employer’s name, the type of work you do and the hours you work per week or month. Describe any significant work you have done in the recent past but are not currently engaged in.
- Diet Summary: Describe your current diet in some detail, and how you cope with it on a daily basis, both at school and at home.
- My Overall Experience and Attitudes about PKU. As accurately and articulately as possible, please describe your overall experience with PKU, your attitudes toward the PKU diet both now and in the past, and what influence PKU has had on your life. Please include any pertinent information about your family or clinic and how they have helped you deal with PKU. (Please expand on your thoughts as much as possible).